Wednesday, January 20, 2016

What is the Zika virus?


There's been much in the news lately about the Zika Virus, especially its effects on pregnant women.  Already, I've been receiving calls in my office about whether it's safe to travel.  Here, I hope to explain a little more about what's going on...

On Friday last week, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) released an official health advisory urging all pregnant women to avoid travel to certain areas to avoid infection with the Zika virus....

Today, I want to explain what this is, where it is, and how it can affect people, especially during pregnancy.

The Zika (pronounced ZEE-kuh) virus was first reported in Brazil in May of last year.   Prior to that, it was found only in Africa, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific Islands. Over the past several months, the virus has spread to a larger area, now including Mexico, Central America, and much of South America.


Zika virus is transmitted through the bite of an infected mosquito.  As of now, the United States does NOT have infected mosquitoes.  There are reports of pregnant women in the U.S. who are affected by Zika but they had recently traveled to areas where it is prevalent.  The virus is NOT spread through human contact.

Not everyone who gets infected gets symptoms.  Only about 20% of infected people notice things such as fever, rash, joint aches, or pink eye, which typically start about 2 weeks after being exposed.  Usually symptoms are mild and last for up to a week.  Most people recover fully without problems.  

The big problem is that if a pregnant woman gets the virus, it can cause miscarriage.  It can also cause the baby to have microcephaly, which means that its head is too small.

Microcephaly can be associated with seizures, developmental delays, problems with vision, hearing, movement, and intellectual disability.

The only way to prevent Zika virus infection at this time is to avoid traveling to areas where the disease is present.  For this reason, the CDC has recommended that pregnant women or women who are trying to become pregnant not travel to areas where the disease is prevalent.  For now, this includes Mexico, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Martinique, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Brazil, Colombia, French Guiana, Paraguay, Suriname, and Venezuela.  


If travel is necessary,  you should do everything possible to prevent mosquito bites.  This includes using insect repellants, wearing long sleeved shirts and long pants, keeping windows closed or open with a screen, using mosquito nets, and remove any standing water from around you.

At this time, there is no commercial testing available for the virus.  Testing can be done through the CDC if infection is suspected.

There is no treatment for Zika.  Supportive care, including rest, fluids, and use of acetaminophen (Tylenol) is recommended.  Most people recover fully and hospitalization is usually not necessary.

If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant soon, the best bet for avoiding infection is to stay away from those areas where Zika has been found in mosquitos.

Much more information can be found at the following sites:



3 comments:

  1. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and I never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he found out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natural herbs have treated so many illnesses that drugs and injections can't treat. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I read people's testimonies online on how they were treated of HSV, HPV, Herpes, Liver diseases, Anxiety, Fever ,diarrhoea, aches and pains, sore throat , etc , by natural medicine, so I decided to contact the Naturopath Dr because I know nature has the power to heal anything. Believe it or not. but I am a living testimony. There is no harm trying natural herbs. Contact Dr on, text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982 ,For herbs and medications. Or you can also contact through his Facebook page @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.

    ReplyDelete